It is an honor to serve in my fourth year as the Executive Sponsor of Grainger’s corporate social responsibility (CSR) program. Our core principles at Grainger are informed by our commitment to integrity, safety, and sustainability in everything we do, and this 2020 CSR Report serves to underscore how we work toward fulfilling those commitments.
This year’s comprehensive report not only details the internal progress we have made in 2019 on ESG, but also provides a lens into how these initiatives correspond with broader global sustainability goals. In line with the goals of the Paris Climate Agreement, we have set science-based targets (SBTs) to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions within our operations, and we are developing an engagement strategy with our customers and suppliers to reduce further emissions throughout our entire value chain. Long known as a leader in the diversity, equity and inclusion arenas, we continue to work toward gender and pay equity in the workplace. Lastly, in recognizing the paramount importance of keeping our team members, customers and their data safe, we have embraced continuous improvement in our safety practices, and we have expanded our data privacy solutions to address rapidly evolving global compliance issues.
With that in mind, I am pleased to share several highlights to consider as you read through this 2020 CSR report:
- Consistent with the Paris Agreement’s goal of limiting global warming to well below two degrees Celsius, we have set science-based targets of our operational greenhouse gas emissions: using a 2018 baseline, we intend to reduce our absolute scope 1 and scope 2 emissions by 30 percent by 2030.
- Our Environmentally Preferable Product (EPP) portfolio sales surpassed $675 million in 2019, representing a 13 percent growth from the previous year and demonstrating our increased focus on helping our customers achieve their own sustainability goals.
- By signing The Chicago Network Equity Pledge, Grainger has committed to achieve 50 percent representation of women in leadership positions by 2030.
- We earned the top score of 100 percent on the 2020 Corporate Equality Index and the designation as one of the “Best Places to Work for LGBTQ Equality” for the sixth straight year.
- Our North America safety rates continue to improve, driven in part by our new Safety Pillar Team and Safety School initiatives. Our 2019 Total Recordable Incident Rate (TRIR) was 1.2 and our Lost Time Incident Rate (LTIR) was 0.3.
Today corporate sustainability finds itself at an exciting inflection point of meaningful actions on sustainable investment, climate change mitigation and resilience, and diversity and inclusion, among others. As a leader in the MRO business, Grainger is proud to work toward setting the industry pace on these issues and beyond, delivering solutions that ultimately keep the world working.
Vice President, President Merchandising & Supplier Management